About the training:
This intensive, entry-level, mindfulness-based teacher training is considered to be the highest standard of training available. It has been developed, refined and delivered since 2002 and taught by some of the most experienced mindfulness-based teachers in Europe. Approximately 50% of all UK mindfulness-based teachers have been trained by the Centre for Mindfulness, Research and Practice (CMRP) and teachers from all over the world choose to attend this programme, which is now delivered in collaboration with The Mindfulness Network.
This programme is designed to immerse participants in the principles and practice of mindfulness-based teaching. It starts from the premise that as teachers we need to embody mindfulness-based practice in our own lives before we can attempt to teach it to others. The programme facilitates an opportunity for sustained inner work through practice and learning alongside peers. It is designed to be a collaborative and participatory learning experience.
The training primarily focuses on the teaching process and curriculum of the group-based, eight-week Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) programmes. The underpinning experience and understanding is also valuable for those who wish to integrate mindfulness into individual therapeutic work or teach mindfulness in a different form.
On TTR1, you will learn to teach the Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction (MBSR) curriculum. The foundational skills, approach and practices that you learn are common to both MBSR and MBCT.
This training offers you an opportunity to learn and practise:
- guiding practices
- professional good practice
TTR1 is experienced in a retreat environment to develop and support the deepening of your personal mindfulness practice. During the week there will be regular periods of silence and a silent led practice day.
Format of the day:
- early morning movement and sitting practice
- MBSR key curriculum components taught to group as course participants (Mornings)
- Teach-back Sessions (afternoons) – guiding sections of core mindfulness-based practices and practising inquiry skills in small peer groups
- taught didactic sessions on key theoretical underpinning
- reflective discussion in homepeer group with tutor
- personal journaling to embed learning
- evening sessions based on practice and reflection
The intention is to create: a group process that feels safe and trustworthy; an open, spacious learning environment that encourages spontaneity and creativity; and structured learning.
By the end of the training, participants will have:
- practised and developed skills and understanding in guiding mindfulness-based practices and the inquiry process that follows the practice
- experienced the curriculum and themes of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction as the basis of all Mindfulness-Based Programmes (MBP)
- developed an understanding of the ways of learning and teaching within Mindfulness-Based Programmes, including:
- teaching out of one’s own direct embodied experience
- bringing Investigation/exploration/inquiry/curiosity to the learning process
By the end of the training participants will have:
- developed a grounded understanding of mindfulness as an approach cultivated through on-going personal awareness, in both formal and informal everyday practice, in silence and in dialogue.
- explored the value of mindfulness-based practice as a way of relating to difficulty
- experienced being part of a practice community with a sense of common purpose
Theory and professional issues:
By the end of the training participants will learn about:
- the origins and context of mindfulness in contemporary settings
- the central importance of a commitment to a sustained path of personal development and practice
- the process of assessment and orientation as a vital part of the delivery of mindfulness courses
- the importance of committing to personal/professional supervision and self care for mindfulness teachers
- some of the ethical issues which arise in this work
Please note that participants must commit to the entire training. Because this course is residential, all participants will need to stay at the venue during the day and overnight for the duration of the course.
After completion of the TTR1 retreat:
One of our priorities is to establish high standards for teacher training and development. This programme is designed to begin the process of training to be a teacher of mindfulness-based approaches. Participants come to this programme with varying skills and experience and levels of practice. Inevitably, not everyone will be ready to begin to teach on completion of this programme. Further development may be required. At the end of the week, there is an opportunity to discuss this and other matters in a one-to-one meeting with one of the programme tutors. This can be a helpful way to reflect on next steps and to review your learning and development needs after your TTR1.
Pre-requisites for attending:
- Completion of a group-based, eight-week MBCT/MBSR course or, a CMRP/MN nine-week distance learning MBSR programme.
- Commitment to an ongoing daily personal mindfulness-based practice, based on MBSR/MBCT practices
About the trainers:
Our trainers are all members of the Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice (CMRP) training team. All have been extensively trained in this approach and engage in a rigorous ongoing process of training and supervision. We use strict criteria when selecting teachers/trainers to work with us. The name of the specific trainer(s) for this event is at the top of this page. Just click on the trainer name to find out more about him/her.
About the venue:
Trigonos is located in the village of Nantlle in North Wales between Penygroes and Rhyd Ddu. Caernarfon is the nearest town and Bangor the nearest mainline railway station (West Coast mainline). Please visit the Trigonos website for additional information and directions at http://www.trigonos.org/node/13
Please arrive for 4:00pm on the first day in time for dinner and orientation in the evening. The retreat ends at 2pm on the last day.
What to bring/wear:
Mats, cushions and blankets will be provided. Please bring your own equipment if you prefer.
Loose and comfortable clothing is advisable. Walking boots and wet weather gear will enable you to engage with the beautiful surrounding countryside.
Our rates have no hidden extras and include teaching, deposit (£200.00), room and board.
Standard rate – Single accommodation £1611
Standard rate – Shared accommodation £1541
TTP & CMRP Master’s rate – Single accommodation £1517
TTP & CMRP Master’s rate – Shared accommodation £1447
Standard Rate – The rate for accessing this training as a ‘stand-alone’ training event and not part of a CMRP teacher training pathway.
TTP & CMRP Master’s rate – 10% reduction of the training cost, excluding accommodation, for those currently on the Teacher Training Pathway (TTP) or the CMRP Master’s programme.
Employer's rate - Recognising the administrative overhead of dealing with employers, we will be adding a £50 surcharge if the employer is paying directly; where possible we would advise applicants to pay themselves and reclaim on expenses to avoid the charge. We will be applying this to all our offerings with effect from September 2020.
If you would like to pay a £200 deposit in the first instance please choose the applicable rate in the drop-down list in the application form.
Please note: The majority of our venues have shared bathrooms, including for SINGLE rooms. Please contact us if you have any specific needs that we need to be aware of.
If the full rate for SINGLE accommodation is paid, but we cannot meet your request for a single room due to lack of availability, then we will allocate you SHARED accommodation and refund the difference in cost, to you or your employer.
This course is residential, which means all participants will need to stay at the venue for the duration of the course – this includes the overnight accommodation.
Application and payment process:
Our application and payment process involve the following steps:
- We receive your application form and assess it to ensure that this event is suitable for you. We endeavour to make assessments within a week.
- Upon offering you a place, we will then invoice you either a £200.00 deposit or for the full amount, depending which option you choose when you complete your application.
- Your place is fully confirmed once we receive your deposit or full payment.
- If you selected to pay the deposit only, we will invoice you for the balance four months before the event starts.
- If the full rate for SINGLE accommodation is paid, but we cannot meet your request for a single room due to lack of availability, then we will allocate you SHARED accommodation and refund the difference in cost, to you or your employer.
- We will email you the joining instructions in advance of the course.
Payment and cancellation policy:
Please read our Terms and Conditions for information regarding payments and cancellations.
Please see the British Association of Mindfulness-Based Approaches (BAMBA) for good practice guidelines and other information for mindfulness-based teachers.
Certificate of Attendance. Please note that we give a Bangor University Certificate of Attendance that details the nature of the course and the hours involved. However, this does not constitute an authorisation to teach mindfulness-based approaches. The development and interest in the potential of mindfulness within a range of settings is rapidly growing and training processes are therefore becoming more structured. Within the UK, though, there are currently no formal qualifications/certification processes which regulate competency in teaching mindfulness-based approaches. This requires those of us working in this developing field to inquire deeply into our own practice, our integrity and our intentions, as well as the boundaries of our skills, competencies and understandings.
Please feel free to email us at email@example.com to discuss any questions you may have about the course or whether it is appropriate for you at this time. We will ensure that your query reaches the correct person.