I grew up in Australia and moved to the UK in 1985. I have a passion for cultivating health and happiness and sharing what I learn. I have been interested in meditation and yoga since I was a teenager and my interest in integrated medicine has been part of my life. I live in north Hampshire and work mostly in London but also around the country and internationally when I can. Mindfulness is central to my life and my work.
- Mindful Self-Compassion Teacher Certification UCSD Center for Mindfulness, UC San Diego School of Medicine 2018
- Trained Teacher of Mindful Self-Compassion 2017
- 3 day Supervision Training, Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice, School of Psychology, Bangor University 2016
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Southampton 2010
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Teacher, University of Massachusetts 2004
- Primary Healthcare Certificate in Basic Homoeopathy for Nurses. Faculty of Homoeopathy 2002
- Diploma in Acupuncture, South West College of Oriental Medicine and China Shanghai International Acupuncture Training Centre. 1999
- Reflex Zone Therapy, International School of Reflex Zone Therapy, London 1994
- Shiatsu practitioner, Teacher Status, Shiatsu Society, London 1997
- Registered Shiatsu practitioner, Shiatsu College and Society, London 1991
- Master Iridologist, School of Natural Medicine and British School of Iridology, Cambridge 1991.
- Chemistry and Therapeutic Application of Essential Oils, L’institut des Sciences Phytomedicales 1992
- Intensive Care Nurse, Prince Henry’s Hospital, Melbourne 1985
- Registered General Nurse, Prince Henry’s Hospital, Melbourne 1982
- Bachelor of Social Work, University of Melbourne, 1978.
- I have been supporting people affected by cancer for over 25 years through psychological support and integrated medial approaches in the NHS and charity sector. I have taught MBSR and MSC to many people affected by breast cancer, other cancers and also some of the general public.
- I teach the Live Online MSC programme via the Center for MSC based in the USA and also lead their Circles of Practice.
I have a long-standing daily practice of Iyengar yoga, mindfulness meditation and compassion practices. I completed the two year Committed Practitioners Programme with Bodhi College in 2019. I have attended Iyengar Yoga intensives with Gita Iyengar and Abhijata Iyengar and other senior teachers including Judith Richards. I have attended mindfulness related retreats since the early 1990s led by Sonia Moriceau, Jon Kabat-Zinn, Saki Santorelli, Florence Meleo-Meyer, Ian Gawler, Christina Feldman, John Peacock, Akincano Weber, Chris Cullen and Ajahn Sucitto.
Research Activities and Interests
I have been evaluating complementary and integrated medicine since the late 1980s and continue to evaluate MBSR and MSC amongst other modalities as part of my role.
I completed a PhD evaluating MBSR in women affected by breast cancer in 2009 and have done other research before and after that.
A selection of publications relevant to mindfulness:
1. Eyles, C, Leydon GM, Hoffman CJ, Copson ER, Prescott P, Chorozoglou M, Lewith G. Mindfulness for the self-management of fatigue, anxiety and depression in women with metastatic breast cancer: a mixed methods feasibility study. Integrative Cancer Therapies 2015 Jan; 14(1): 42-56.
2. Hoffman, Caroline J, Ersser, Steven J, Hopkinson, Jane B, Nicholls, Peter G, Harrington, Julia E, Thomas, Peter W. Effectiveness of mindfulness-based stress reduction in mood, breast- and endocrine-related quality-of-life and wellbeing in stages 0 to III breast cancer: a randomized, controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2012 April 20; 30(12): 1335-1342.
3. Hoffman, Caroline J, Ersser, Steven J, Hopkinson, Jane B. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in breast cancer: a qualitative analysis. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice 2012 Nov; 18 (4): 221-226.
4. Smith, J, Richardson, J, Hoffman, C, Pilkington, K. Mindfulness‐Based Stress Reduction as supportive therapy in cancer care: systematic review. Journal of Advanced Nursing 2005 Nov; 52 (3): 315-327.