About the training:
This two-day workshop is for mindfulness-based teachers who wish to learn more about groups and how to support the rich potential of the group process in a mindfulness context.
Many of us have come into this work with a background in one-to-one work. The skills we have acquired will have many direct benefits for our mindfulness teaching. However, we may find that we continue to teach one-to-one, albeit in a group.
We will explore how to bring this group dimension into all aspects of our mindfulness teaching – including the orientation and assessment process; guiding practices; leading inquiries; and facilitating exercises and group discussions. In doing this, we will learn how to be present and alive to the three dimensions in the group: that of myself as teacher; that of individual participant; and that of the group as a whole.
We will explore the different stages of the group – namely the forming, the holding, and the ending of the group – and how as group leaders we can best support the learning practice of our participants in this group context.
Key learning objectives:
- to explore ways of leading, teaching and holding the process of mindfulness-based groups that enables the rich learning potential within the group to be realised by our course participants
- to find ways of resolving some of the common challenges when leading groups, including managing: a dominating participant; a persistent late comer; someone who is openly sceptical; and/or a participant who says very little
- to consider the different approaches involved with teaching very different sized groups.
Prerequisites for attending:
- Completion of either a group-based, eight-week MBCT/MBSR course or a nine-week CMRP distance learning MBSR programme
- Commitment to an ongoing daily personal mindfulness-based practice, based on MBSR/MBCT practices
- Have begun supervised teaching of one or more eight-week courses.
About the trainers:
Our trainers are all members of the Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice (CMRP) training team. All have been extensively trained in this approach and engage in a rigorous ongoing process of training and supervision. We use strict criteria when selecting teachers/trainers to work with us. The name of the specific trainer(s) for this event is at the top of this page. Just click on the trainer name to find out more about him/her.
This will be an online event - a zoom link will be sent prior to the start date.
In order to participate in the training, you will need:
- A room where you can close the door and engage in the training away from family distraction. It may be helpful to use headphones.
- Log in via a computer which is resting on a hard surface and which has audio and webcam. Please don’t use handheld devices to log in.
- When you are not speaking, please turn on mute to reduce background noise.
Timings are in BST (British Summer Time)
Please note that these are approximate timings and will be confirmed closer to the time:
10.00am for a 10.30 start on the first day, ending at approximately 5.30pm
9.00am start on the second day, ending at 4.00pm
What to bring/wear:
Please wear comfy clothing with layers. Mats, cushions, stools would be helpful to have available to support your practice space at home.
Our rates have no hidden extras
Standard rate – £295
TTP and CMRP Master’s rate – £266
Standard Rate – The rate for accessing this training as a ‘stand-alone’ training event and not part of a CMRP teacher training pathway.
TTP and CMRP Master’s rate – 10% reduction of the training cost for those currently on the Teacher Training Pathway (TTP) or the CMRP Master’s programme.
Employer's rate: Recognising the administrative overhead of dealing with employers, we will be adding a £50 surcharge if the employer is paying directly; where possible we would advise applicants to pay themselves and reclaim on expenses to avoid the charge. We will be applying this to all our offerings with effect from September 2020.
The application process:
Our application and payment process involves the following steps:
- We receive your application form and assess it to ensure that this event is suitable for you. We endeavour to make assessments within a week.
- Upon offering you a place we will then invoice you for the full amount.
- Your place is fully confirmed once we receive your full payment.
- We will email you the joining instructions in advance of the course
Payment and cancellation policy:
Please read our Terms and Conditions for information regarding payments and cancellations.
Please feel free to email us at email@example.com to discuss any questions you may have about the course or whether it is appropriate for you at this time. We will ensure that your query reaches the correct person.