About the training:
This five-day training training course will provide an opportunity to immerse yourself in teaching MBSR. It is an experiential exploration of the eight-week course for MBSR teachers, to help them support and develop skills and confidence in teaching. Offered in a residential retreat environment, the training will provide opportunities for combining learning and deepening practice.
The course will include:
- exploration of MBSR curriculum themes and intentions.
- teaching strategies of MBSR
- theoretical underpinnings of MBSR
- exploring the flow of teaching and learning through the curriculum
- defining the overall structure of the curriculum
- exercises and practices connected to lesson themes, including options and alternatives
- deepening understanding of the particular characteristics of MBSR
- group facilitation; allowing learning to arise
- developing inquiry skills integral to MBSR
- exploring connections between personal practice, teaching and learning
The training will include teaching practice sessions focused on the MBSR session themes (eg. Perception, exploration of pleasant and unpleasant experience, stress reactivity, stressful communication, what we take in). With the exception of mindful movement, the teaching practices will not be focusing on the guided meditation practices.
This training is an element of the formal Teacher Training Pathway (TTP) in association with Bangor University and the certificate of attendance can be included in your TTP Portfolio. If you register on the TTP after having completed this training, the certificate can be included retrospectively.
The course will be held online using Zoom software and you will also be given access to our Community area, a place for online learning and shared resources.
Pre-requisites for attending:
The course is open both to experienced mindfulness-based teachers as an opportunity to refresh their personal and teaching practice, and newer teachers who are in the earlier stages of developing MBSR teaching skills.
All participants must have:
- personal experience of an MBCT or MBSR eight-week course
- an established personal mindfulness practice
- ideally have participated in a mindfulness-based Teacher Training Retreat level 1 or equivalent
- professional background and/or equivalent knowledge and experience of the populations that the programme will be delivered to.
You will engage in practising teaching of the MBSR session themes such as stressful communication. To be able to do this, you will need to be familiar with the MBSR curriculum.
Please ensure you are able to attend the entire event. If this is not possible, please contact us to discuss before submitting an application.
About the trainers:
Our trainers are all members of the Bangor University Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice training team. All have been extensively trained in this approach and engage in a rigorous ongoing process of training and supervision. We use strict criteria when selecting teachers/trainers to work with us. The name of the specific trainer(s) for this event is at the top of this page. Just click on the trainer name to find out more about him/her.
In order to participate in the training, you will need:
- A room where you can close the door and engage in the training away from family distraction. As we will be showing clips of teaching, it is particularly important that confidentiality is maintained by ensuring that those who are not on the training cannot see your screen or hear the audio. It may be helpful to use headphones.
- Log in via a computer which is resting on a hard surface and which has audio and webcam. Please don’t use handheld devices to log in.
- When you are not speaking turn on mute to reduce background noise.
The Zoom meeting link for the whole training will be sent to you prior to the start date.
As far as possible, give yourself over to the learning during this time with a minimum of distraction.
Preparation for event:
Please wear comfortable clothing with layers. Mats, cushions, stools would be helpful to have available to support your practice space at home.
Participants are required to purchase a copy of the book 'Essential Resources for Mindfulness Teachers' edited by Rebecca S. Crane, Karunavira and Gemma M. Griffith from the Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice at Bangor University, Wales, UK. This text will be utilised throughout the training programme and we are pleased to offer a publisher's discount of 20%: https://training.mindfulness-network.org/book-discount/
Dates and Timings:
17th - 21st April: 9.30am - 5.30pm
All times are UK, BST (British Summer Time).
If you are attending from a different time zone, please check equivalent timings in your time zone.
Our rates have no hidden extras:
Standard rate – £689
Bursary-assisted places are available on this event until three months before the event starts. If it is less than three months before the start date of the event, please get in touch to discuss if an application is possible. When applying for a bursary-assisted place, please first register on the event and select the fee ‘I’m applying for a bursary-assisted place’. Once you have registered for the event you will also need to complete and return a bursary application form.
To find out more about our bursary schemes, criteria for bursary applications and to complete the bursary application form please visit: https://home.mindfulness-network.org/bursaries/
Employer’s rate: Recognising the large administrative overhead of dealing with employers, we will be adding a £50 non-refundable surcharge if the employer is paying directly; where possible we would advise applicants to pay themselves and reclaim on expenses to avoid the charge.
The application and payment process:
Our application and payment process involve the following steps:
- We receive your application form and assess it to ensure that this event is suitable for you. We endeavour to make assessments within a week.
- Upon offering you a place, we will then invoice you either a £100.00 deposit or for the full amount, depending which option you choose when you complete your application.
- Your place is fully confirmed once we receive your deposit or full payment.
- If you selected to pay the deposit only, we will invoice you for the balance four months before the event starts.
- We will email you the joining instructions in advance of the course.
Payment and cancellation policy:
Please read our Terms and Conditions for information regarding payments and cancellations.
Please see the British Association of Mindfulness-Based Approaches (BAMBA) for good practice guidelines and other information for mindfulness-based teachers.
Please note that we give a Bangor University certificate of attendance which details the nature of the course and the hours involved, however, this does not constitute an authorisation to teach mindfulness-based approaches. The development and interest in the potential of mindfulness within a range of settings is rapidly growing and training processes are therefore becoming more structured. However, within the UK there are currently no formal qualifications/certification processes which regulate competency in teaching mindfulness-based approaches. This requires those of us working in this developing field to inquire deeply into our own practice, our integrity, our intentions and the boundaries of our skills, competencies and understandings.
Please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss any questions you may have about the course or whether it is appropriate for you at this time. We will ensure that your query reaches the correct person.
Click here to sign up to this event.